Gums that bleed easily, such as when you brush your teeth or eat crunchy foods, are showing symptoms of gingivitis, a mild form of gum disease. In its beginning stages, gingivitis may respond well to an enhanced at-home routine. This includes:
- Using a soft-bristled toothbrush and nonabrasive fluoride toothpaste to brush your teeth after every meal
- Flossing in between every tooth before you brush at least once a day
- Using an oral rinse designed to kill bacteria underneath the gum line
With diligent effort, these steps may be all it takes to restore health to your gums. When they fail to produce results or if additional symptoms of gum disease, such as chronic bad breath, loose or shifting teeth, and gum recession occur, it is a good idea to schedule an appointment for professional dental services.
Why Treat Gingivitis Quickly?
Gum disease starts small, but can quickly progress. When this happens, serious oral and systemic health issues can follow.
Advanced gum disease, known as periodontitis, occurs when gingivitis is left untreated. Periodontitis comes with the risk of tooth loss. Left untreated it can also cause jawbone necrosis, allowing portions of the jaw to deteriorate.
Periodontitis is linked to increased risks for several systemic issues including heart disease, hypertension, type 2 diabetes, certain types of cancer, and dementia. Swift treatment of gum disease can help to reduce risks to both your oral and systemic health.
Treating Gm Disease
At The Smile Centre, we offer a range of gum disease treatments including:
- Scaling and Root Planing. The deep cleaning of gingival tissue
- Gingivectomy. The removal and replacement of unhealthy tissue. Often performed with a laser
- Osseous Surgery. The surgical removal and replacement of unhealthy tissue combined with deep tooth cleaning
The most effective option for your needs will be dependent on factors such as how far the disease has progressed. Preexisting oral and systemic health issues may play a role in this decision as well. The best way to learn which option will produce the most beneficial results is by coming to our office for a thorough examination. If your gums are bleeding, give us a call at 941-351-4468 to schedule an appointment right away.