Constant tooth pain is never normal and often a sign that a tooth has become infected. When a tooth is infected, bacteria penetrates the tooth structure and damages the internal nerves and pulp tissue within. Without treatment, the infection can spread to surrounding teeth, infect other parts of your body, and even cause you to lose your tooth.
We offer gentle and effective root canal treatment to remove infection and save your oral health. Contrary to what most believe, root canal treatment is not an overly painful procedure and ultimately solves tooth pain.
Symptoms of Tooth Infection
- Constant tooth pain
- Sensitivity to hot or cold beverages
- Recurring fever
- Swollen face, cheeks or lymph nodes
- Pain when biting or chewing
- Constant bad breath (halitosis)
The Root Canal Process
When performing a root canal, our dentists focus on preserving your tooth structure, your overall comfort and removing the cause of your discomfort.
- We use a local anesthetic to numb the area around the infected tooth so you will feel little to no pain, only slight pressure as we work.
- We then create a small opening in your tooth to access the infection within.
- Using specialized instruments, we can clear out the infected pulp and nerves and reshape the damaged tooth canal.
- We will then fill the canal with a biocompatible material called gutta-percha to restore structure to the inside of the tooth.
- Finally, we will reshape your tooth and a dental crown added to cap the tooth, which will protect the damaged area and restore function to your bite. After root canal treatment, your tooth should be free of pain.
Preserving your natural tooth is our primary goal. We can help you feel comfortable before and during root canal therapy with our sedation dentistry options.
For root canal treatment, please call The Smile Centre to learn how our caring and skillful dentists can help ease tooth pain. If you live in the Sarasota area of Florida, contact our Palm Aire location online or at 941-351-4468 or our South Trail office at 941-366-3636. If you live in or around Venice, Florida, please contact us online or at 941-497-5451. Our three convenient offices serve Sarasota, Venice, Bradenton, and nearby areas of Florida.